The Department of Molecular Genetics offers admission in September and January. There is no admission in May.
Applicants to the Department of Molecular Genetics must first apply to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) through the on-line admissions application which is housed on a secure server in the University of Toronto. Your application will be considered only after you have entered your personal and academic information in the on-line application, submitted the application fee and submitted all required supporting documents.
Required Supporting Documents
- An Applicants Checklist. You should use this checklist as a reference when completing your application to ensure that you are submitting all required documents and that they are in the correct format.
A minimum of two reference letters from professors or lab heads who knows you, your work/study habits, and research capabilities. At least one of the letters should be from a professor who has supervised you directly in a laboratory setting in which the you performed an independent research project. Letters typically describe the relationship of the referee to you, the research project(s) you undertook, and a candid assessment of your intellectual capacity, aptitude for laboratory research, ability at interpreting and presenting scientific data, motivation, organizational habits, and communication and interpersonal skills. Any additional information that will inform the admissions committee regarding your suitability for postgraduate education and a career in research is welcome.
A third letter is optional, but may be helpful. It can be from someone less familiar with your research skills - for example, a professor who knows you from a course, but not in a research capacity; a non-faculty researcher who has worked with you, a former employer or work term supervisor, etc. These letters should nonetheless address your attributes that are relevant to graduate study in Molecular Genetics.
- A scan of your official transcripts (submitted on-line).
- Your CV (submitted on-line).
- A letter of intent (submitted on-line). This letter should briefly describe your previous research experience, outline your future goals, and research interests (e.g. tell us which professors in our department you would be interested in working with and why).
- English Facility Exam score (only students who have completed their post-secondary education in a language other than English).
- International Applicants only - An email confirmation from your secured sponsor and a GRE score submitted directly to the University.
All documentation must be submitted on-line by the document deadline date.
- Log in to the on-line application at https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca.
- A valid e-mail account is needed to complete the on-line application, as the University will correspond with applicants using e-mail. Enter your personal data and contact information on the SGS on-line application and an applicant identification number (Applicant #) and a secure password will be e-mailed to you. You can leave and return to your application at any point. Note: You cannot change personal data after the application fee is paid.
- Be prepared to submit contact information for TWO referees. A THIRD referee is optional, but you must have this information on hand if you wish to provide a third reference. Be sure to inform your referees that you are doing this and that the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies will be contacting them by e-mail. An institutional email address is required for each of your referees. If one or more of your referees does not have an institutional email address, please contact email@example.com, providing the referee name, title, institution, phone number, relationship to you, and a non-institutional email address. NOTE: all applications are reviewed electronically, therefore hard copies of reference letters cannot be accepted.
- Pay the application fee of $120 Canadian. This fee is non-refundable. The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) must receive your application fee before the Department of Molecular Genetics will review your application. When you have submitted the fee you will be able to check the status of your application. Please allow time for processing the payment by the School of Graduate Studies.
The application fee can be paid on-line by VISA or Mastercard. This payment method is secure as the transaction is handled by Mirapay, a third party authorized by VISA and Mastercard. Mirapay provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only. SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that popup blockers on your web browser be disabled.
- You will be asked to submit one electronic or scanned transcript from each post-secondary institution you have attended. Scanned copies must be up to date and must contain the transcript legend (usually printed on the back of a paper transcript). Transcripts submitted without a legend will not be accepted. For transcripts that are not in English, an English translation must be provided. The admissions committee will make a decision about your application based on the scanned transcript. Please ensure that the file is complete and readable before submitting. You will not be required to submit official paper copies of your transcripts until after the committee has made it's decision. If admitted, you will be required to submit an official transcript; verification of your paper transcript will be a condition that must be satisfied before registration.
- Once you have paid your application fee, you will be able to upload other supporting documents. A letter of intent must be submitted electronically through the on-line application system. Please save your file as a .pdf before uploading it to your online application.
- A Curriculum Vitae or Resume that briefly outlines all of your previous education, work experience, and interests, must also be submitted electronically through the on-line application system. Please save your file as a .pdf before uploading it to your online application.
- If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, you must submit acceptable English language facility test scores. Applications with test scores which do not meet the minimum requirements will be rejected. Minimum scores must be achieved at the time of application. For more information on acceptable tests and minimum score requirements see Language Requirements. Test scores are reported electronically to the university at your request. Use the institutional code 0982-00.
- International/visa students only:
- Have secured a sponsoring Faculty member prior to submitting their online application.
- Have a current GRE score submitted to the University of Toronto (Institutional code: 0982-00) prior to the document deadline.