Application Deadline is December 2, 2016.
Document Deadline is December 16, 2016 of each year. All supporting documents, including letters of recommendation, pre-requisites form, applicant profile and transcripts must be received by this date.
On-Line Application Instructions
The Department of Molecular Genetics offers admission only in September for the Genetic Counselling Program.
Applicants to the Department of Molecular Genetics must first apply to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) through the online admissions application which is housed on a secure server in the University of Toronto. Your application will be considered only after you have entered your personal and academic information in the online application, submitted the application fee and submitted all required documents. This includes letters of reference submitted online by referees and a scan of your official transcripts submitted online. All documentation must be received at the Department by the document deadline date (see below).
Please follow these instructions carefully:
- Log in to the online application at https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca.
- A valid email account is needed to complete the online application, as the University will correspond with applicants using email. Enter your personal data and contact information on the SGS online application and an applicant identification number (Applicant #) and a secure password will be emailed to you. You can leave and return to your application at any point. Note: You cannot change personal data after the application fee is paid.
- Provide the biographical and education information requested. An applicant number and secure password will be emailed to you. The online application allows applicants to manage and submit biographical and educational information as well as specific documents immediately to the University. Applicants can edit an in-progress application and check the status of all documents submitted using the secure password and applicant number.
- Be prepared to submit contact information for THREE referees. Be sure to inform your referees that you are doing this and that the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies will be contacting them by email. An institutional email address is required for each of your referees. If one or more of your referees does not have an insitutional email address, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, providing the referee name, title, institution, phone number, relationship to you, and a non-institutional email address. NOTE: all applications are reviewed electronically, therefore hardcopies of reference letters cannot be accepted.
- Pay the application fee of $120 Canadian. This fee is non-refundable. The School of Graduate Studies must receive your application fee before the Department of Molecular Genetics will review your application. When you have submitted the fee you will be able to check the status of your application. Please allow time for processing the payment (SGS).
The application fee can be paid online by VISA or Mastercard. This payment method is secure as the transaction is handled by Mirapay, a third party authorized by VISA and Mastercard. Mirapay provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only. SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that pop-up blockers on your web browser be disabled.
- You will be asked to submit one electronic or scanned transcript from each post-secondary institution you have attended. Scanned copies must be up to date and must contain the transcript legend (usually printed on the back of a paper transcript). Transcripts submitted without a legend will not be accepted. The admissions committee will make a decision about your application based on the scanned transcript. Please ensure that the file is complete and readable before submitting. Applicants who will be invited for an interview will be asked to submit an official transcript prior to the interview date. Note that there will be a short turnaround time for official transcripts to be received.
- Once you have paid your application fee, you will be able to upload the other supporting documents. An Applicant Profile, Pre-requisite form and an Applicant Checklist must be submitted electronically through the online application system. Once you have paid for your application, you will have access to these forms online. Use only these forms and the space provided. Save all files as .pdf's prior to uploading them to the online application.
- If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, you must submit acceptable English language facility test scores. Applications with test scores which do not meet the minimum requirements will be rejected. Minimum scores must be achieved at the time of application. For more information on acceptable tests and minimum score requirements see: Admission. TOEFL test scores are reported electronically to the university at your request. Other test scores can be mailed directly to us.