In addition to meeting all general admission requirements, International Applicants* to the M. Sc. and Ph.D. programs must:
- Have secured a sponsoring Faculty member prior to submitting their online application.
- Have a current GRE score submitted to the University of Toronto (Institutional code: 0982-00) prior to the document deadline.
International Degree Equivalencies
The Department of Molecular Genetics will determine international degree equivalencies for all degrees completed outside of Canada upon receipt of applications. To get an idea of how your degree compares to a Canadian degree, you may want to use the School of Graduate Studies' International Equivalencies Tool. Note that the Department of Molecular Genetics' admission requirements are higher than the minimum requirements set out by the School of Graduate Studies.
If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian University where the language of instruction and examination was not English, then you must complete an English facility exam. This requirement must be met at the time you submit your application. You may complete any of the following tests:
TOEFL (U of T Institutional code: 0982-00)
- Paper Based Test & TWE: Overall Score 580, TWE 5
- Internet-Based Test IBT: Overall Score 93, Writing/Speaking 22
COPE: 4 (with at least one in each component and 2 in the writing component)
Academic Preparation Course: Final grade of B in Level 60
* International applicants are those who are not Canadian Citizens, Landed Immigrants in Canada or Permanent Residents in Canada
Admitted students to our program receive a guaranteed stipend for the duration of their studies. While the funding offered to our students is very competitive, we recognize that international students may have additional expenses. To help you with your financial planning, we encourage you to view the cost of living breakdown in the University of Toronto Housing website.